Smith's Wood Parish Council
HomeStructure of the CouncilDates of Next MeetingsAgendasFull Council Meeting MinutesFinance and General Purposes Committee Meeting MinutesAnnual Parish Meeting MinutesExtraordinary Meeting MinutesGrant Aid for Local Groups - Guidelines for ApplicantsBulletin BoardContact UsFurther Information
Extraordinary Meeting Minutes

Extraordinary Meeting - Tuesday 29th January 2019.

Those present: 

 

Chairman:  Cllr D Cornock.

 

Councillors:  Cllr G Craig, Cllr Mrs G Harrison, Cllr H Hendry, Cllr M Rashid.

 

Officer:  Mrs K Woods.

 

In attendance:  Simon Upson - Head Steward.

 

1.  Apologies.

Apologies were received and accepted from Cllr F Churchill and Cllr Mrs J Lloyd.

 

2.  Community Gym.

a.)  Gym Figures.

Members discussed with Simon Upson if they could have a further breakdown of the figures that are presented at the Finance and General Purposes Committee meetings ie what equipment (toning tables, fitness suite, health suite) are being used.  A breakdown of what is membership and what is pay as you go.  Simon stated that he is not sure what figures he can present, but that he would see if he could produce what the Parish Council have asked for.

 

b.)  Generate More Income.

Members asked Simon if he had any ideas how to generate more income as the Parish Council are heavily subsidising the gym with the use of reserves.  Simon informed members that the Parish Council’s gym can not be compared to other local gyms as they have more equipment so they can cater for more members.  Simon added that it is a fine balance with how many members the gym can have at any one time as too many members means that they can not use the equipment if other members are using them.  Simon stated that the Parish Council’s gym is one of the priciest gyms in the area, but members, who are local residents, like that it is small and quiet and not intimidating, as the gym has no free weights, so bodybuilders have not joined the gym.  Simon added that the busiest times are in the morning until 11am and after 5pm.  Members asked if the opening of the medical centre would have an effect on membership.  Simon stated this could increase membership as some Doc Spot customers have joined the gym when their Doc Spot sessions have finished. 

 

c.)  Signage for Gym.

Simon informed members that signage for the gym may encourage more members as, at the moment, membership is largely word of mouth.  Members stated that the school had drafted a sign for the side of the building incorporating the Parish Council and Gym, but members stated that they would prefer Gymnasium to be replaced with Gym and Fitness Centre and they also wish to have a sign installed above the door by the stairs. 

Simon left the meeting at 5.05pm.

 

3.  Fun Day.  

Members were informed that the two members of staff that have organised and run the fun day for the past eight years have stated that they no longer wish to continue as it is very stressful, with little help when things go wrong.

 

a.)  Volunteers.

Members agreed that the Clerk draft a leaflet asking for volunteers to help organise and run the fun day.

 

b.)  Fun Day Committee.

Members agreed to set up a fun day committee, if they get at least eight volunteers, to plan the next fun day.  A possible date for summer 2020.

 

c.)  Medical Centre Opening Day.

Members stated that they could organise something to tie in with the opening of the new medical centre.  Members asked the Clerk to contact Solihull MBC to find out who is moving into the medical centre and a date for the opening of the centre.